Saturday, August 11, 2007

The Art of Womanhood

I am getting involved in a program that I am very excited about called the Art of Womanhood. (www.artofwomanhood.org) I have been looking for a long time for some way to continue my own education and work on my unique gifts and mission, without neglecting my family. I also hoped that when I found the right opportunity, it would be something that would enhance my family life and bless them too. I think I have found that in this program. They offer distance courses to women all over the world who are interested in making a difference in the world through their unique roles as women. Each course is taught by a mentor, who talks with the students individually on a regular basis to help them evaluate themselves, set goals, tailor their actions to their unique purposes, and apply what they learn in their lives. The groups meet by phone or in person if they are near a mentor to discuss their readings, and journal their thoughts as well as writing assignments. Each woman is encouraged throughout the process to spend time daily with her higher power (for me that's prayer to God) and reading her core books (for me that is the scriptures), and compare what she reads in the curriculum materials (classic books) with what she learns from those. Each married woman is also encouraged to rely on her husband for insight and strength. My classes start next month. I am excited to begin!

No comments: