Saturday, August 04, 2007

Pioneering


Here is a picture of me and my baby on a pioneer trek. What a wonderful experience it was, although I was quite afraid to do it with a baby! I came away from the experience knowing I can face the trials in my life, although different than the pioneers, if I walk with God. The baby was so very patient with the hiking in 100 plus degree heat. There were also many helping hands along the trail. I was in the last company, and usually the last in line, and I didn't feel all that helpful pushing the cart, but I learned a lot from my experience. Here are some things I learned:

Enjoy the journey - if you are at the bottom of the mountain, don't spend time wishing you were at the top. Trust you will get there, and enjoy the view from where you are and the chance to serve those who are down there with you.

Pray always - I knew it would be hard so I called on God continually. When I go about my 'ordinary' life, which doesn't appear to be so hard and full of peril, but because of temptations really is, I need his power. Despite not seeing the mountains in front of me, I need to pray mightily each day.

Small things can be great - even the menial tasks can be great when done with the spirit and love.

Take time to be grateful and see how far you've come - we stopped at the top of a huge mountain. If the company hadn't stopped to meditate, pray, and see how far we'd come and thank Heavenly Father, I would have missed the opportunity in my haste to always keep moving. I often miss the joyful moments and fail to see my progress because at the top of one mountain I see another looming and just keep walking, discouraged. It is good to stop and be refreshed and grateful.

I feel a sense of purpose now as a pioneer of my own day, facing invisible but just as perilous opposition in trying to do good. I have a journey to take and I need faith and strength to do it, just as they did.

No comments: